Easy Green Monster Fruit SnackMarch 24, 2019
Low Carb Mexican Skillet DinnerMarch 25, 2019
Creamy chicken and mushroom pasta with peas is a quick and easy, one-pot dinner!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (1 lb.) box whole wheat penne pasta
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 oz. plain cream cheese (I use 1/3 reduced fat)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (10 oz.) bag frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (see notes)
- For serving: 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped and shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and saute for 7-8 minutes, until onions are tender and the mushrooms have released most of their liquid.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Add pasta and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 8-10 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the pasta is nearly cooked. I lift the lid and stir it once or twice during the cooking time so the pasta gets moved around and can cook evenly.
- Add cream cheese and mozzarella cheese and stir until melted and well combined. You can add an extra splash of chicken broth if needed to get everything to mix well.
- Add thawed peas and shredded chicken and stir to combine. Turn off heat, cover and let sit for a few minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve with fresh chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese (if using).