Detox for Your Health – Dr. Meghna ThackerJanuary 24, 2019
May 31, 2013January 24, 2019
- 4 large egg whites
- Pinch of kosher salt
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- Red gel food color
- 10 oz white chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups finely shredded coconut
- Heat oven to 225°F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and salt in a large bowl on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the cream of tartar, then increase the speed to high and gradually add the sugar 1 Tbsp at a time, waiting 4 to 5 seconds between additions, until the meringue forms stiff glossy peaks; transfer ? cup of the plain meringue to a small piping bag with a small round tip. With the mixer running, add the food color to the remaining meringue and tint to desired color.
- Transfer the red mixture to a large piping bag with a large star tip. Pipe Santa hats onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 1 ½ in. apart. Using the reserved plain meringue, top each peak with a dot (for the cotton ball). Bake, rotating the pans halfway through, until no longer tacky but still soft, 60 to 65 minutes. Let cool completely on the sheet.
- Once cool, melt the white chocolate in the microwave. Dip the bottom ½ in. of each Santa hat into the melted chocolate, shaking off any excess, then immediately coat in the coconut. Repeat with the cotton ball. Transfer back to the parchment-lined baking sheets and let set.